Apr 9, 2016

VANGUARD PRESENT'S PERSONALITY OF THE YEAR

          

Awardees at Vanguard Personality of the Year, 2015 Awards, which held on Friday, at the Eko Hotel, Victoria Island, Lagos, had these to say: I’m humbled by award—Alex Ekwueme Former Vice
President of Nigeria, Chief Alex Ekwueme promised to continue to contribute to the development of Nigeria. 


He said: “I thank Vanguard newspaper for the honour of this life achievement award for my modest contribution to Nigeria. I hope and trust that as time goes own, I shall continue to make our modest contribution in whatever way possible. I thank you all.” 

Vanguard award_jpg

I dedicate the award to Borno people–Gov Shettima In his remarks, the governor of Borno Stare, Gov Kasim Shettima dedicated the award to the people of the Borno state. He said: “I wish to thank the management of Vanguard for deeming us fit to receive this award. Martin Luther King said “the true test of a man does not come during comfort and convenience but during times of crisis and challenges”.

From Left: Mr Jim Ovia, Founder/Chairman, Zenith Bank Plc/Vanguard Businessman of the year; Dr Oba Otudeko, Chairman of the Occassion; Prince Dayo Adeyeye, former Minister of state for works, representing Ex-President, Goodluck Jonathan and Mr Sam Amuka, Chairman Vanguard Newspaper. at the Vanguard personality of the year Awards 2015 in Lagos.

 “I wish to dedicate this award to the indomitable will, to the courage and the spirit of resilience of the common man and woman in Borno, who in spite of the crisis, stood their ground and weathered the storm. We believe that what we are experiencing in Borno state is a temporary eclipse, the Borno sun will and start shining once again very soon.

 I wish to congratulate the other recipients, my governor colleagues , the former president and of course, my boss forever, the founder, the living legend, Mr Jim Ovia. “It was under his tutelage that I rose to the pinnacle of my career in Zenith bank. This is a man who promoted me within the span of nine months. He called it reward for excellence, I call it a generosity of spirit, fairness and equity. Thank you so much and may God bless us all.”

 I’m motivated to do more for the people—Gov Dankwambo Receiving the award, Governor Dankwambo said the award would propel him and his team to do more for the people of Gombe state. He said: “I also want to dedicate this award to the people of Gombe state, who found me worthy the first time in 2011 to be elected as governor, the second time in 2015, to come back as the only PDP governor that is coming back for the second time.

 I want to assure them that this award will continue to motivate and encourage me and my team to do more for the people of Gombe state. “To my colleagues who have come from far and near, I want to say thank you and I want to assure you that the award is for you and for people of Gombe state. From today, this is a motivation for all of us to make sure we do our best for the people of Gombe state,” he said. 

He also commended the management of Vanguard newspaper saying “Let me also join my other colleagues in thanking the Vanguard newspaper for this honour that is bestowed on me today and to also thank them most sincerely for finding my father, my mentor, Oba Otudeko.” 

The award is a challenge to to do more–Gov Amosun On his part, governor Ibikunle Amosun of Ogun State, said the award is a challenge for him to do more for the people of Ogun State. Explaining the reason he accepted the award, he said “let me confess, for me awards like these are better received after the office. 

Indeed, Uncle Sam and Vanguard did what nobody else has been able to achieve since I became governor and I have my reasons for this. If you are elected to serve, people should wait until after the service when they will see what we have done. Let me echo what my brother governor from Edo said, indeed if there is anybody, particularly what is happening in the North East and Borno state, the governor is doing a wonderful job. He made a difficult looks so simple and easy. 

The governor of Edo state deserves the award too because he has a few months to go and everybody has seen what he has done in the last eight years. For me, I queried why I should come and take this award and they said “this is in recognition of what you did in the first term.” Speaking shortly receiving the award, Amosun said, 

“For me, this award is a challenge, Vanguard has put me on the spot and to the good people of Ogun state, you know what I have always said, it is in our interest when we have serve our people. In the next three years, we will not be in a position to do anything. It is in our interest, when we are in the second term to do more than what we did in the first term.” 

Assuring the people of Ogun state to put in his best, he said, “let me assure the people of Ogun state, who truly are the owners of the award because there can be no leaders without followers. Vanguard is challenging me and supporting the good people of Ogun state. For me, the reward of hard work is more work and we are going to do that work. I am happy today if you look at the hall, everybody from Ogun state, we have Chief Osoba as well, who has served Ogun state.

 That is what we are made of, that is the spirit. We will not drop the ball because there are so many giants that have come before us, we are just struggling to leave our mark so that when we are long gone, people will say Amosun came and left Ogun state better than he met it.

 That is all I want.” Commending Vanguard newspaper for the bestowing on him the award, he said, “thank you Vanguard for challenging me to work more for the people of Ogun state. For all of you, it is a clarion call that we need to work more, people are happy with what we have done but we need to work more, that us what this award us telling us. 

This award, like I said, is not for me, it is for the good people of Ogun state and all of you that we are running the show together.” Nollywood stars dazzle on the red carpet It was indeed a night of glamour, glitz and high fashion as Nollywood stars and other entertainers stormed the prestigious Vanguard Personality of the Year Awards, which held yesterday at Eko Hotel and Suites, Victoria Island, Lagos. 

The celebrities took turns to display their fashion and style on the red carpet. But the night belonged to the politicians and distinguished Nigerians who were celebrated for their selfless service to humanity. Leading the pack of celebrities on the night was actress Rita Dominic, who was dressed on light-green gown. Accompanied by her manager, Kelechi, Rita had a nice time out. 

Other celebrities in attendance were Cossy Orjiakor, Helen Paul, Mary Lazarus, Annette Cookey, Doris Simeon, Bukky Fagbuyi, Jude Orhorha, Imelda J, Princess Chineke among others. 

We present to you some of the dazzling highlights on the red carpet. 

Roll Call President Muhammadu Buhari was represented by Minister of Information, Alhaji Lai Mohammed; Former Vice President, Dr Alex Ekwueme, Governor Ifeanyi Okowa of Delta state; Governor Ibrahim Shettima of Borno State;

 Governor Dakwanmbo of Gombe State; Governor Ibikunle Amosun of Ogun State; Governor Adams Oshiomhole of EdO state; Lagos state Deputy Governor, Dr. Oluranti Adegbule; former Governor of Ogun state, Aremo Olusegun Osoba; former Commissioner of Information in Lagos state, Mr Dele Alake, who represented the National Leader of the APC, Asiwaju Ahmed Bola Tinubu; 

former Managing Director of First Bank, Mr Bisi Onasanya; Chief Mrs Oprah Benson; Mr Patrick Obahiagbon, Chief of Staff to the Governor of Edo State; Prince Ajibola Ogunsola of Punch Newspapers and Mr Ladi Balogun Managing Director of FCMB.

 Others were Chairman of Honeywell Group and Chairman of Vanguard Awards 2015, Chief Oba Otudeko; Ms. Sally Mbanefo; former Governor of Akwa Ibom State, Chief Victor Attah; former Information Commissioner in Edo state, Mr Louis Odion; Commissioner for Information, Edo state, Prince Afegbua; Nduka Obaigbena, Publisher of THISDAY Newspapers;

 Senate Leader, Senator Ali Ndume; Dr Muiz Banire, National Legal adviser of APC; President of sickle cell foundation of Nigeria, Professor Olu and Mrs. Funke Akinyanju. Award Presentation Meanwhile, Oba Otudeko presented award to Governor Kashim Shettima of Bornu state at exactly 8.40pm; 

Otudeko presented award to Governor Adams Oshiomhole at exactly 8.50pm. Otudeko presented award to Governor Dakwambo of Gombe state at exactly 9.01pm. Otudeko and Dr Alex Ekwueme presented award to Governor Ibikunle Amosun of Ogun state at exactly 9.11pm.


Source: vanguardngr

No comments:

Post a Comment